Maximizing Manufacturing Output Utilizing Existing Resources
Visual Manufacturing enables companies to leverage product design and related business information directly in their production process by automating, simplifying and error-proofing inefficient tasks on the shop floor. The simplicity and accuracy of visual information improves communications, increases productivity and product quality.
The Continual Challenge of Improved Manufacturing
Intensified global competition, resource constraints and margin pressures are causing companies to rethink manufacturing strategies. Every day these businesses are challenged to eliminate process inefficiency and waste while at the same time increase throughput and manage cost. Decisions to deploy offshore manufacturing have led to other challenges: language barriers, quality problems and an elongated ramp time to full production levels.
Manufacturing engineers attempt to overcome these challenges by providing work instructions and installation plans to production, making screen shots of 3D CAD geometry and pasting them into documents. Keeping this information current with engineering change is difficult and the complexity of CAD systems makes the process costly, time consuming, and frustrating.
As 3D design matures, engineering departments are adopting the "Model Based Definition" (MBD) process. Designed to eliminate 2D drawings and embed GD&T information as part of the 3D model, this makes engineering more productive. To utilize this data in downstream processes, however, users need access to the CAD tools and training to be CAD experts causing extreme inefficiency, cost and waste.
Bringing Work to the Worker in the Right Format and at the Right Time
By merging data with visuals in the context of the work, the Visual Manufacturing Solution from Right Hemisphere reuses existing company assets, eliminates waste and accelerates manufacturing processes with higher quality.
- Complex CAD geometry is transformed into lightweight manufacturing models that are automatically structured and sequenced for each manufacturing process
- Manufacturing engineers validate and refine the final manufacturing instructions before deployment to the shop floor
- Product configurations, engineering changes and effectivity are integrated and processed automatically
Visual 3D work instructions reduce manufacturing errors by eliminating ambiguity and exactly matching each product build. Production staff learn new processes and achieve higher production rates significantly faster using 3D visual instructions.
An End-to-End Solution for Visual Manufacturing
- Transforms complex CAD data into lightweight 3D manufacturing information
- Automates the creation of work instructions, installation plans and visual aids
- Links to MRP and MES systems to unify product information
- Brings work to the worker and eliminates time wasted searching for information
- Removes language barriers through 3D graphics and animation
- Accelerates the manufacturing learning curve and improves staff cross-training
- Synchronizes with engineering change and effectivity
- Combines 2D and 3D for maximum productivity
Putting it All Together
Deep Server is the core of the architecture, Deep Exploration is the Manufacturing Engineering authoring tool, and HTML templates are used to create a robust shop floor interface with Deep View.
Made possible through a collection of files and data sources that can be edited separately or collectively, the Visual Manufacturing Solution dramatically reduces the time and effort required to manage dynamic, 3D content.
- Combines geometry, configuration control, MBD manufacturing information, and assembly instructions on-the-fly
- Optimized for speed (editing and viewing) and manufacturing accuracy
- Manages revisions to the information throughout its lifecycle
- Meets the requirements of visual simplicity and ease-of-use
- Enables rapid user adoption on the shop floor
Automating business processes using Visual Manufacturing frees knowledge workers to perform more valuable job functions that drive innovation of new products and processes.
Fast becoming the visual manufacturing de facto standard, the Visual Manufacturing Solution is flexible and adaptable to any manufacturing process and yields benefits well beyond our customer's expectations.
Visual Manufacturing Drives Manufacturing Value
- Auto-generated Manufacturing Instructions: 80% reduction in manpower effort
- 3D Installation Plans: Higher production rates and fewer errors
- Animated Work Instructions: Accelerated shop floor learning with superior retention
- Synchronized Engineering Changes: Accuracy on the shop floor eliminates rework
- MES/MRP Integration: Shop floor instructions are defined for each product configuration
- Language Independent Graphics: Consistent repeatable processes at any location in the world
- Lightest Weight 3D: Large models are fast and easy to view resulting in rapid user adoption
- 2D Included: Drawings and 2D graphics can be included for added clarity and detail
- Display of 3D CAD Features and Tolerances: Model Based Definition content is easily deployed